Friday, November 15, 2013

Baked Pears

Posted by Cris

As a mom, I'm always trying to get my kids to eat healthier - but our house has tons of leftover Halloween Candy and we attended a VERY early Christmas parade last weekend too. Sweets are not in short supply around our house. It didn't work out at our house - but your kids might be less picky or less oversugared. Or you may just want to do what I did and enjoy by yourself. 

First cut the pears in half.

Then use a melon baller to scoop out the seeds and core.  Leave the stem on, don't worry about it. 




Sprinkle with cinnamon, brown sugar and drizzle honey.  I don't know how much, enough. I'm not that technical.  I added walnuts in the little scooped out holes, but those are optional.


Put in oven at 350. and baste every 15 minutes - cook time will vary.  Here's what I did - cook for 20 mins, remember, baste - set timer for 15 - baste - why aren't they tender yet? Hmm.. 10 minutes - Baste - cover with tin foil - 10 minutes - DONE! Finally!

They are done when they are tender and a fork slides in and out easily.

At this point they smell REALLY good - the whole kitchen, maybe the whole house will smell REALLY good.  Only - wait a little while before you try them, they are HOT! and will burn your mouth - They smell delicious but you won't be able to taste once your tongue is burned - Wait a few, but not too long, they are best warm.  

There you have it - a healthy dessert. You are welcome!

PS - My kids wouldn't try these (cue whining) "The walnuts looked like brains. They are brown. That's not a dessert!" 
I enjoyed them for several days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment